SOCIETY of LEEDS GOLF CAPTAINS
Patron:- Mr. Peter Alliss 2019-2020 Captain : Mr. Bob Youde
The SOCIETY OF LEEDS GOLF CAPTAINS though not the first in this country, (London and Liverpool in particular pre-dating Leeds) held its inaugural meeting on 27th May 1952 at the Great Northern Hotel in Leeds.
The meeting was convened by Mr Leslie H. Bakes of the Sand Moor G.C. and chaired by Mr. A. R. Alvin of the Garforth G.C. There were nineteen prospective members present, including members from
Sand Moor, Moortown, Gotts Park, Headingley, Roundhay and Garforth golf clubs.
Mr Bakes suggested that the Society would follow similar lines to the Societies already well established in London and Liverpool. It was proposed to unite Past and present Gentlemen Captains of Leeds so that we may be better able to influence the best interests of Leeds Golf Clubs, and the game of golf.
By the end of the meeting the Society had been formed, with rules of the Society discussed and agreed. The first committee was elected with the following members:-
Chairman & Captain :- L. H. Bakes,
Committee members:- N. Grimshaw Garforth, N. Wilson Roundhay, J. Tidswell Headingley, J. W. Kidd Moortown and R. L. Downend of Gotts Park.
The next meeting did not take place until 2nd February 1953, by which time 43 applications for membership had been received from 13 constituent clubs, which were duly confirmed. It was agreed that the spring meeting arranged by Mr. J. W. Kidd would be held at Moortown G.C. On Thursday 16th April 1953, this was to be a bogey foursomes over 18 holes, entrance fee 2/6d per player. The total entrance fee of £3:00 was more than adequate for prizes.
Two issues were resolved, firstly the presentation of a red tail coat to the retiring Captain, to be paid for out of Society funds and secondly, the appointment of The Right Honourable Lord Brabazon of Tara P. C., M. C., the then Captain of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, as Patron of the Society.
The first Autumn meeting was held at Sand Moor G.C. Late in November 1953.
The next committee meeting was held at Sand Moor G.C., where it was agreed that subscriptions for the year be set at 10/-, the spring meeting was to be held at Horsforth G.C. Subsequently the 1st. Annual Meeting was held there on June 24th 1954.
Subscriptions raised £47:00. A credit balance of £37/17s./5d. (£37.875p in decimal) was declared and a new Captain/chairman, Mr Nelson Grimshaw, of the Garforth G.C. was proposed and accepted.
A design for a society tie was accepted and purchase of the red coat endorsed by all.
The first Annual Dinner was held at the Moortown Golf Club on the evening of December 10th 1954.